Monday, July 2, 2012

Giving Back- 4000milligrams.org





Seeing the food you're allergic to is like the way other people see a poisonous snake or a tarantula. If you have food allergies, you know what I'm talking about. It's fight or flight. That fleeting moment of sheer panic that makes your stomach drop and your heart kick into overdrive.

For as long as I can remember, Epi Pens have been my security blanket. I can't remember a time when they weren't either in my bag or glued to my hand. They made eating things, touching things, and smelling things less intimidating. It was like the earthquake kit on the shelf in the front hall closet. Even if I never used them, just knowing they were always there gave confidence to live my life without being afraid of food.

But on August 8th I wont need them anymore. And as liberating as it's going to be, I have to admit that it is, psychologically, a scary thing to do. 

And I realize that there are many who suffer from food allergies that cannot afford to have Epi-Pens. So I've decide to raise money for the two causes that have truly changed my life.

My first initiative is to raise money for Epi Pens for children who don't have health insurance or whose health insurance does not cover Epi Pens. The money will be donated directly to Dr. Nadeau's patients.

My second goal is to raise money for Xolair. Xolair has enabled me to complete the study in just 6 months with fewer reactions. 

Please visit www.4000milligrams.org to donate. 

Thank you for your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment