Thursday, April 5, 2012

Xolair


2 shots of Xolair, 150 milligrams in each arm




ouch. 





Observation for 30 minutes after getting the shots

On Wednesday, February 24th,  I received my first shot of Xolair (Omalizumab). Considering the study I'm participating in is "The Xolair Study," it was a pretty important first step in the desensitization therapy. Last week, on March 23rd, I received my second. 

Those who suffer from food allergies produce Immunoglobulin E (IgE) when exposed to the allergens they are sensitive to. Xolair acts as an anti-IgE, and in this way will help protect me when I'm exposed to peanuts. 

I'm scheduled to get 300 milligrams of Xolair every four weeks for six months. On the 16th week, after my third shot, I will have built up enough anti-IgE in my body to be able to start eating more peanut flour than I am currently able to eat. On April 20th, I will receive the third shot. On that day, just like during the double blind challenges, I will be given increasing doses of peanut flour until I react. During my double-blind challenges, I reacted at 6 milligrams. However, with my third shot of Xolair, Dr. Nadeau hopes that I won't react until I reach at least 1000 milligrams. 

As for the pain factor, the shots didn't hurt nearly as badly as I thought they would. After numerous warning from nurses that Xolair is a lot more viscous than other shots, and would take longer to be injected, I was definitely nervous. Luckily, they weren't that painful at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment